[Owncloud] OwnCloud 4 alpha issues

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Mon Apr 30 03:00:20 UTC 2012

HI,

I'm new to owncloud, so if this is not the proper way to report issues, please let me know what the
proper way is.
This will be a rather long mail, since I include as many details as I can, hopefully that helps.

I installed owncloud 3.0.2 on my debian testing (wheezy) server on 28-04 under apache2.
Note that the list on owncloud.org/install (the apt-get section) didn't 'work' for me, since some
packages don't exist on debian (php-mbstring, php5-zip, php-xml), but I 'think' most of them are
provided by php5-common (know this for php5-json).
The list of php5 packages that I (initially) installed is:
libapache2-mod-php5
php5
php5-common
php5-gd

Then I went to http://<server>/owncloud and got a msg that there was no database driver installed.
I do have MySql installed on my server but didn't find instructions on how to use that, so I
installed the php5-sqlite package, restarted apache and then owncloud worked.

I then created an administrative account and then my user account (which is not in the admin group).
It would be nice if the logged on username is displayed (in the banner for example), the only way
I've found to figure out who I am is by clicking on the settings tab and see how many items there
are. I've done the next steps as my user, unless noted otherwise.

The first thing I wanted to try is to use owncloud's calendar and sync that with my android devices.
So I exported my calendar from Kontact (KDE 4.7.4) and uploaded it to the files section, clicked on
the file and got a dialog asking me to which calendar I wanted to import it to.
The import stalled at around 70%, consistantly.
Then I looked in apache's error log and found that it failed in allocating about 130MB and it looks
like that was the cause of the failed import.
Changed the memory_limit variable in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini from 128M to 256M (and restarted
apache).
Also noted that the .ics file was 12.3MB in size due to an attachment, so removed the attachment and
re-exported my calendar, and then it was 100KB in size.
Removed the old .ics file and uploaded the new one and retried importing it, which succeeded, but
progress indicator was still at 70%, but my events were present, so the import did succeed.

Then I wanted to sync that calendar with my phone's calendar, using CalDAV-Sync beta
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.caldav.lib, install instructions on
http://dmfs.org/wiki/index.php?title=OwnCloud), which seemed to work, except for recurring dates,
like birthdays. Contacted the developer of the app and he told me it was a known issue with the
version of SabreDAV present in owncloud 3.0.2.
Since I didn't know how to upgrade SabreDAV seperately I choose to upgrade to the unstable version
of owncloud from url https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/archive-tarball/master. This was
probably just before 4.0.0 alpha was released.
I did the upgrade as follows:
- cd /var/www
- su (to become root)
- wget https://gitorious.org/owncloud/owncloud/archive-tarball/master
- tar xvzf master (which created directory owncloud-owncloud)
- cd owncloud-owncloud/
- tar cf - . |(cd ../owncloud; tar xvf -)  (found that command through google)
- cd ..
- chown -R www-data:www-data owncloud/
- rm -rf owncloud-owncloud/
- /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Logged in to owncloud and noticed that the .ics file that was present in the files section was gone.
It maybe caused by an improper upgrade (hence the details), but a proper upgrade shouldn't delete
files ;-)
The version number reported was 4.0.0 alpha (up to date) even though it technically wasn't that
version. Syncing recurring events then also worked.
Uploaded a new file and then wanted to delete it again (just testing), but the icon overlays I had
with 3.0.2 were gone. It turned out that I had to click the icon of the file at which I got the
posibility to delete all (selected?) files, which seemed to succeed.
Logged out and back in again ... et voila ... there was my just deleted file again!

In the meantime, I've subscribed to this mailing list and saw that 4.0.0 alpha was officially
released, so I upgraded again:
- cd /var/www
- su (to become root)
- su www-data (to become the apache2 user)
- wget owncloud.org/releases/owncloud-4.0.0-alpha.tar.bz2
- tar -xjf owncloud-4.0.0-alpha.tar.bz2
- rm owncloud-4.0.0-alpha.tar.bz2
- exit (getting root again)
- /etc/init.d/apache2 restart

Logged in to owncloud and noticed that the Files tab was gone, even though I was in that section.
Clicking on the owncloud image brought me back to the Files section.
Then I uploaded another file and wanted to delete it again and it seemed to have succeeded. Logged
out and back in again ... and the 2 files were still present :-/
Logged out and in as admin ... and saw the 2 files of my user!! That doesn't sound right.
Tried to go into the Admin section and noticed it didn't work.
Ssh-ed into my server and saw apache was using 100% of 1 core (of 2) and then checked apache's error
log and saw a bunch of errors, so I restarted the apache service (it seemed to have gone into an
endless loop or sth).
I also noticed that the apache error log had grown to 3.2 GB !! in just a few hours, which is not
surprising seeing the errors:

[error] [client 192.168.1.51] File does not exist: /var/www/owncloud/ajax, referer:
http://<server>/owncloud/?app=files
[error] [client 192.168.1.51] File does not exist: /var/www/core, referer:
http://<server>/owncloud/?app=files
... (repeated a whole lot of times)
[error] [client 192.168.1.51] PHP Warning:  require_once(../../../lib/base.php): failed to open
stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/owncloud/apps/calendar/ajax/gettimezonedetection.php on
line 8, referer: http://<server>/owncloud/settings/personal.php
[error] [client 192.168.1.51] PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required
'../../../lib/base.php'
(include_path='/var/www/owncloud/lib:/var/www/owncloud/config:/var/www/owncloud/3rdparty:/var/www/owncloud:/var/www/owncloud/apps:/var/www/owncloud/lib:.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear:/var/www/owncloud')
in /var/www/owncloud/apps/calendar/ajax/gettimezonedetection.php on line 8, referer:
http://<server>/owncloud/settings/personal.php
... etc, etc, etc ...

Logged out and tried to login as my user again, which failed consistantly, even though I provided
the correct credentials.
Checked my server and noticed that the /var partition was using 100% of it's space, caused by
apache's error log growing so big.
Removing the error.log and restarting apache allowed me to login again and showed me the 2 files I've
been trying to delete.
Tried to remove them again and took a screenshot of the resulting page (see attachment), to show
some rendering issues.
Clicked on the owncloud image to see my Files section again and it still showed the 2 files.

Other things I noticed:
- The login screen has several rendering issues after I told my browser to remember my login
credentials. After typing the first character it offers to complete the name and also provide the
password at which the password field is rendered rather strange ("Password" in that field is still
visible). With owncloud 3.0.2 and 4.0.0 pre-alpha (unstable download) many times the login button
and the "remember me" field weren't visible at all. With 4.0.0-alpha this seems to have improved, but
not always. Using tab to get to the password field and pressing enter does log you in consistantly.
- It was rather clear with 3.0.2 how to do file operations, the overlays at the end were rather nice.
With 4.0.0-alpha it's not clear and only found out by (accidently) clicking on the icon indicating
file-/mime-type at which you get an overlay of a checkbox on top of that icon.
- It looks like owncloud doesn't handle (relative) paths very well, since it tries to look for
/var/www/core and /var/www/ajax (owncloud installed in /var/www/owncloud/) and that in turn causes
various other errors and also results in apache's error log growing BIG very fast, which in turn
(can) render your webserver unusable.

That's it for now ;-)
I can do various tests if needed, including wiping my owncloud install (and reinstalling it).
Just let me know and I'll try to do it.

Regards,
  Diederik