[Owncloud] GSOC 2012 Proposal

Michael Gapczynski mtgap at owncloud.com
Fri Apr 6 15:19:17 UTC 2012

Hi Vivek,

I read through your proposal and it sounds good. A few things to be noted
though.

In sharing, files are never moved nor copied from their original location. The
sharing library only allows access to the owner's file for other users. This
practice should be continued for inter ownCloud sharing, meaning files should
not be stored on a different server than the owner's.

It sounded like you are planning to create your own method for security and
authorization for communicating between instances. This may be too much work
and I suggest you look into using OAuth as a protocol for this.

I think it would be useful to split this off from sharing so it can be used by
other apps and desktop clients for API access. Inter instance sharing should
still remain the goal however.

Best of luck!

Michael