[Owncloud] Suggestions for a NAS?

Florian Jacob fjacob at lavabit.com
Thu Apr 5 09:21:56 UTC 2012

Hi Alexander,

> I'm currently shopping for a NAS at home. I'd like to run Owncloud on
> it. Do you
> have any suggestions, regarding which device or manufacturer to chose?
> OC should run nicely there.

I can't recommend a specific NAS, as I run a "full-blown" x86 server at
home, but some general advice:
You should look for a NAS with ssh access and a web server (of course ;)
), ownCloud is supported best with apache, but some people run ownCloud
on nginx / lighttpd, two webservers especially found on such embedded
devices like NAS systems.

Additionaly, the bottleneck for data tranfer rates on NAS systems is the
processor, so if you want more data transfer than just a couple of
Megabits, you should invest in that area.

Hope that's a little help to you. :)

Cheers,
Florian