[Owncloud] ownCloud release

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Mon Sep 26 06:24:47 UTC 2011

On 26.09.2011, at 00:26, Jan-Christoph Borchardt wrote:

> In the beta there is an issue making it impossible to add new users. This
> made me think about – why do we fix the zip package if one day later many
> issues in there are fixed. People will have problems and bring up the same
> issues repeatedly, which is nonsense from both users and developers point
> of view. If you check out our Twitter or Shapado (or mailing list, which
> should please not be used for bugs :) → http://owncloud.shapado.com> you’ll see what I mean.

Sure. I suggest to do a beta 2 today to fix this.

> Since Gitorious also offers a compressed archive download, why don’t we
> just leave that? We can still formally have it labeled "ownCloud 2 beta"
> (for people who like clear labels like that) but in reality it will update
> with the latest fixes. Basically, a rolling release underneath but a fixed
> release on top.

Thats an interesting idea. But I´m not sure this works. The purpose of beta releases
is to give testers an defined state which they can test. Testing a moving target is a testing nightmare.

> And in any case – as we already did with the removal of the ".0" numbering
> structure – we should not append extra numbers to releases. It’s just the
> beta, not a beta 1. A beta phase can go long, and as it’s updated
> constantly it doesn’t matter either way. It’s just more confusing.
>
> Sorry for the slightly ranty post but

No problem. :-)
New ideas are always good. :-)

> – since it’s web software which is
> constantly downloaded – I propose we establish a new workflow of keeping
> the master always as stable as possible and tested (as we do right now
> already) and only commit fixes there. Every feature or addition is
> developed in a branch which needs to be tested and cross-reviewed before
> it’s merged.

Sure. But they is still the need to test the complete software package before release