[Owncloud] ownCloud release

Jan-Christoph Borchardt jan at unhosted.org
Sun Sep 25 22:26:06 UTC 2011

In the beta there is an issue making it impossible to add new users. This
made me think about – why do we fix the zip package if one day later many
issues in there are fixed. People will have problems and bring up the same
issues repeatedly, which is nonsense from both users and developers point
of view. If you check out our Twitter or Shapado (or mailing list, which
should please not be used for bugs :) → http://owncloud.shapado.com –
you’ll see what I mean.

Since Gitorious also offers a compressed archive download, why don’t we
just leave that? We can still formally have it labeled "ownCloud 2 beta"
(for people who like clear labels like that) but in reality it will update
with the latest fixes. Basically, a rolling release underneath but a fixed
release on top.

And in any case – as we already did with the removal of the ".0" numbering
structure – we should not append extra numbers to releases. It’s just the
beta, not a beta 1. A beta phase can go long, and as it’s updated
constantly it doesn’t matter either way. It’s just more confusing.

Sorry for the slightly ranty post but – since it’s web software which is
constantly downloaded – I propose we establish a new workflow of keeping
the master always as stable as possible and tested (as we do right now
already) and only commit fixes there. Every feature or addition is
developed in a branch which needs to be tested and cross-reviewed before
it’s merged.

Something which doesn’t exist is better than something which is
implemented only half.