[Owncloud] LDAP

Florian Jacob fjacob at lavabit.com
Sat Oct 29 14:08:05 UTC 2011

Hello Jan-Kees and Carlos,

> Does anyone know where I can find ownCloud documentation about ldap
> integration? I need to authenticate users against AD.
Well, activate the ldap app and configure it in the administation settings
page. ;) If you have any specific questions, ask them on
http://owncloud.shapado.com/ , ask domme on irc (developer of the ldap app) or
here..

There's no specific documentation, especially as I (the website guy) have no
idea what I should document for it. If you have any tips or setup steps,
please tell me. Afaik the plugin is written & tested against open ldap..

@Jan-Kees:
> this is the main thing keeping me from deploying owncloud at large on
> our school now
Nice to hear that you're thinking about that. :)

> another thing is doing webdav through windows (XP / 7),  there is some
> documentation but i didn't manage (osx and linux work fine btw.)
Windows 7 support is problematic, but Windows XP should work without that much
hassle.. you could drop in the irc one evening and ask to have a error hunt
with someone of the team.

> finally i'd like to know how to use owncloud as frontend to a fileserver
> (windows server 2008). but i think, reading this list, that there's no
> ready-to-go solution for this yet ?
You're the first one trying to do this, at least the first one I have heard of,
so you're right. ;)

As with most open source projects, developers are mainly on linux and some on
MacOS, so that's well-tested and in daily use. Windows support is a little
more problematic (and much less fun to do, so not that much motivation for
volunteers), so from time to time we fire up our windows test machines, but
there's no one really dedicated to it.

That doesn't mean we don't try to support Windows systems, just that it will
be harder for you. Still, if you have any specific problems, feel free to ask,
e.g. on irc. At least we can improve the documentation when we know what you
tried or what went wrong with your installations.

Cheers,
Florian