[Owncloud] Tablet stolen. App inspiration

Klaas Freitag freitag at kde.org
Wed Oct 26 10:04:28 UTC 2011

Am 26.10.2011 11:37, schrieb Frank Karlitschek:
> What a cool idea!
Indeed, the idea is appealing! Thats the power of ownCloud!

>> IDEA
>>
>> Owncloud side:
>> App where you create a device ID. (write-only authentication for a device)
>> Continuesly recieve location data. {x-pos,y-pos,precision}
>> List of devices you are tracking, perhaps with a map for each.
Thats easy, but...

>> Device application (android/iphone/laptop):
>> Takes an owncloud url and a device ID.
>> Contacts owncloud with location data at a given interval/ at certain events.
That works if you leave your device on the heating at the library
accidentially. But how would we hinder the thief from removing the app
that tells us where the thing is? Is there a chance beside from masking
it as an stupid image displayer which would give us a percentage of the
thiefs...?

Klaas