[Owncloud] database abstraction

dev at c33s.net dev at c33s.net
Sat Oct 15 01:20:17 UTC 2011

On 11/10/2011 20:50, Robin Appelman wrote:
> we already support mysql, sqlite and experimental postgresql, if those
> options don't show up that means that they are not available on your
> server configuration, most distro's have a package like php5-sqlite
> that you will need to install.
you missunderstood me, its not a problem to get it up and running, i
just notice often, that opensource projects require mysql and have
no/experimental support for postgres (which is, for my point of view,
the better database).

but why that? with a orm like propel you have everything you need to
support multiple databases just out of the box.

you have a clear seperation of the model and the queries, you have one
file defining all the tables, then probel can generate objects for the
acessing all the tables.

for example:
in the current code you have: ./apps/contacts/adressbook.php

there is plain sql in it, but with plain sql you get to
incompatibilities quite fast.

if you use a solid orm, some allready figured out common traps and
prevented them.

in mysql you can create an index with the same name for multiple tables,
in postgres you can't. propel handle this well and you get an
application compatible with many databases out of the box.

it was just a suggestion :)

mvc just rocks, and i am quite a big fan of the php framework
symfony.com which handle mvc very well and also use doctrine or propel
as orm.

greets
c33s