[Owncloud] option to turn off media scanning?

Jan-Christoph Borchardt jan at unhosted.org
Tue Oct 11 23:19:38 UTC 2011

And in this case - the gallery app should be intelligent enough to have an exception for single "albumart.jpg" (or whatever) inside of a folder that is otherwise full of music files.

I'm not saying hardcoding exceptions but the program should be as intelligent as possible. Otherwise users have to add exceptions manually. The code in the program has only to be written once.

Danial Bulloch <owncloud at dbeta.com> wrote:

Apps can disobey the .nomedia, sure, but it isn't to prevent an app
from being able to see the contents, it's there to allow developers to
know what to ignore. On android there is nothing stopping an app from
scrapping my podcast folder for music if it feels like it, but the
.nomedia tells the app developer that I don't want it to, which is
important. .nomedia is nice, but it isn't granular. For example, my
music folder has album art. I don't want my photo applications to find
the album art and start throwing it in with my photos, so something
like .nopictures and .nomusic might be in order too.

Perhaps in the documentation it would be a good idea to specify, just
to make sure people know that it isn't protection, just organization.