[Owncloud] Fwd: Flattr for the release?

Michael Grosser owncloud at seetheprogress.net
Sat Oct 8 15:53:45 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
> in general it´s a good idea to collect donations of course. But this has
> some important implications.
>
> - We need an organization who is the owner of this flattr account. It´s now
> a good idea that this account is owned by me, you or any other individual

I agree it should be owned by the community, but why not start with it owned
individually, till we have a foundation? As I said: Keep the money in the
flattr account till ownCloud can use it.

> - We need a democratic elected organization who decided how this money is
> spent.

I agree, but we first need enough money to be spent. So in my opinion: Start
now. Leave it on Flattr. Think about how to spent it, when it is reasonable.
If we start collecting money after getting an organization, we miss a lot of
opportunities.

> - We need a shared bank account to hold this money.

Why not see the flattr account as shared bank account for now?

> - We need a non profit status of this organization so that we don´t have to
> pay taxes.

Agreed. As I wrote: The payout date is important, so we could handle the
money later. Or we could use the KDE e.V., if they don't mind? So have a
dedicated owncloud flattr account and payout to the KDE e.V. bank account
with the tag ownCloud and use it for only this.

> - A person to handle the money transfers, book keeping, tax declaration and
> more.

Depends on what we decide to do. We could ask KDE e.V. to handle one
transaction every few months, depending on the incoming money, or we could
appoint someone, if we have an organization.
(If nooone is found, I would do it. But I think the KDE e.V. solution sound
better.)

> - A several other requirements.

> It´s very important to me do this in the right way (TM) because this has a
> lot of potential to create significant harm inside our community like for
> example tax implications for individuals, legal implications for some of us,
> mistrust inside the community about the spending of the money and a lot more
>
> ownCloud doesn´t have this kind of organization to handle this donations in
> the right way at the moment. But this is not a problem because we are part
> of KDE and KDE has the KDE e.V. which is created exactly for that reason.
>
> So what we should do here is to motivate our users to donate to KDE e.V.
> (perhaps with a flattr button or something else) and than we can expect from
> the KDE e.V. to support our developer meetings and other expenses we have.

I disagree. Why not use a dedicated donation account owned by KDE e.V. for
now so switching to a dedicated foundation would be easier.
Another method would be letting an individual handle the transactions and
donate it with the tag "ownCloud" to kde. (not the best way in my opinion.)

> Cheers
> Frank

Cheers
Michael

And sorry, don't want to stab you in the back, I just want a reasonable
discussion.