[Owncloud] Email handling in ownCloud

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Tue Nov 8 16:43:34 UTC 2011

Quoting Jon Spriggs <jon at sprig.gs>:

> If you're looking for a mail service, hosted by you, then implement
> something like Citadel, or Horde, or any of the handful of webmail or
> web based groupware suites. Most of these implement their own mail
> backend, or use the server's own mail server, and are more likely to
> be kept up to date for that suite of tools than something which is
> bolted on "because it's cool".
>
> If you're looking for something which is integrated with webdav and
> caldav, Horde's groupware suite provides a caldav service for the
> calendaring, can read another caldav service (so could poll OwnCloud),
> and also has it's own service for interacting with WebDav (called
> Gollem), so why not just use that?
>
> I think there's a lot of features that OwnCloud are re-implementing,
> that horde already has done, and I'm surprised the two projects aren't
> looking to each other to see how they could complement each other -

Who said we don't look? ;)

> especially as Horde already has contact syncing, calendaring and mail
> (using SyncML or their own XMLRPC service), they provide file store
> access (webdav, ftp, sftp, local file store, and database backed file
> store), photo galleries, a wiki service, ticket tracking and lots,
> no.... really, LOTS more.

The one problem Horde has is definitely the aged interface. A good
reason for looking over at ownCloud :)

So far there wasn't much time for investigating where things could
easily be bridged. I'm specifically interested in looking at
integration points when it comes to Horde/Kolab/ownCloud - within
Horde I'm the Horde/Kolab guy.

I do hope I find real coding time for this soon.

Cheers,

Gunnar