[Owncloud] Rich text editor and document collaboration ideas

Tom Needham needham.thomas at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 20:25:25 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

Had some interesting discussion in the irc channel tonight about a rich text editor and the possibility of real time collaboration just like google docs. Just though I would share a few projects I came across that could be really helpful in bringing these features to owncloud.

elad661 in irc mentioned that LibreOffice are now developing a web version in HTML5. There is a video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY_0_ojrUrQ

elad also mentioned the backend behind google docs' real time collaboartion which is 'infinote'. After some googling I came across a javascript implementation of this: http://www.jinfinote.com/. Ok, so it's in really early stages but it looks very promising. One downfall however is that it relies on a backend programmed in C.

So while looking for alternatives I found a project called 'MobWrite' : http://code.google.com/p/google-mobwrite/. MobWrite is good because it relies on just a single php file for the backend. MobWrite is also a bit further along with development.

Icewind also just added that an advantage of infinote is that there are desktop clients that can integrate with it given a url of the server. One idea is to use mobwrite by default as it can be included with ownCloud without any fuss and then offer infinote as an 'app' so that desktop clients can be used.

Anyway, if I get time this week I will try and proptype collaboration with mobwrite in the current text editor but there is lots to do regarding sharing/users/permissions....

Regards,
tpn

Tom Needham