[Owncloud] repository restructuring

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Tue Nov 1 21:45:09 UTC 2011

Hi all,

at the developer meeting in Zürich 2 weeks ago we talked about a cleaner separation of the different parts of ownCloud.

The idea is that we keep the core of ownCloud as small as possible and provide an easy way to install and update more apps via the application installer. I plan to work on this in the next few weeks.

I suggest that we move all the apps that are not absolutely core functionality to the "apps" repository and provide an easy way to browse and install this apps from within ownCloud. This has the benefit that we can add new features via new apps anytime and that we make it easier for new developers to contribute to ownCloud.

I plan to do this in a transparent way so that the users doesn´t have to care if an apps is shipped with ownCloud or installed afterward from the net.

https://gitorious.org/owncloud/apps

Does this make sense?

Cheers
Frank