[Owncloud] Re: Contribute a 'social' app

Sam Tuke samtuke at fsfe.org
Thu May 12 12:20:40 UTC 2011

On Thursday 12 May 2011 05:23:57 Bastian Neumann wrote:
> I like the idea of ownCloud and I am having a close look at the sources
> right now.
> I am thinking about a social network app. That means, that every one who
> has an ownCloud account on a server can have a profile and a list of
> friends with whom they are able to share files. It is just a rough idea
> but I want to hear your opinion on a function to share files with selected
> friends.

How about making this an add-on / plugin-in for diaspora and appleseed? I
think this would be a better long term approach than building a new social
network system on top of own-cloud.

It could be tightly integrated in a variety of ways, and could also serve to
promote awareness of own-cloud to what will presumably be the large number of
people using those two FS applications.

There are already applications that do social networking well. You could bring
what owncloud's file hosting / sharing abilities to those applications instead
of bringing their functionality to owncloud.

Something like "if you have an owncloud server install this diaspora plugin
and enter your webdab address to add filesharing capabilities to your profile".

Just an idea,

Sam.

--
Sam Tuke