[Owncloud] Re: Contributing to ownCloud

Robin Appelman icewind1991 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 11:28:35 UTC 2011

On Thursday 17 March 2011 09:51:55 Sunil Khiatani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a long time KDE user, and a programmer but I have never successfully
> helped out with open source.  I am hoping to start now, and I am able to
> spend a few hours a week helping out.
>
> My skills are fairly wide, I'm a decent programmer in C++ and C# and should
> be able to handle PHP easily. I'm also good at designing and have decent
> photoshop, web programming, and web designing skills especially with
> jquery.
>
> For the longest time I've been hoping to sync my contacts, bookmarks and
> calendars with my PCs, Web UI, and phone.  I've tried Kolab which works
> great on the Web, and on KDE, but doesn't work with the phone. I now have
> an android phone, so Web and phone are great, but KDE desktop isn't.
>
> I've also tried to build my own cloud on my home server by making use of
> gallery2, ampache, and it works decently but leaves a lot to be desired
> when it comes to browsing on the phone.  In addition I have used coherence
> UPnP to share my media across the home appliances like TVs which works
> very very well.  Also I've experimented with MythTV and MediaPortal to
> bring convergence to media.  E.g Music on the TV, TV all on the computers,
> Picture on the Web, TV, Computers, and Phone.
>
> I'm hoping I can help ownCloud bring a platform that's seamless when it
> comes to desktop, web and mobile integration. Are there any plans for RSS
> syncing? or Bookmark syncing? I can help start with those.
>
> Is the Media API stable? I can help write the plugin for coherence that
> will share music over UPnP or DLNA.  I'll try to make it work with Windows
> Media Player too?
>

> Regards,
>
> Sunil
More contributers are always welcome :)

Upnp/DLNA sharing would be great to have, the media plugin is still
experiemental and the api might be a bit focused to what was needed to support
the ampache api, but I'm sure we can come up with a common api for media that
will suit all needs.

 - Robin Appelman