[Owncloud] Contributing to ownCloud

Sunil Khiatani skhiatani at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 08:51:55 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm a long time KDE user, and a programmer but I have never successfully
helped out with open source.  I am hoping to start now, and I am able to
spend a few hours a week helping out.

My skills are fairly wide, I'm a decent programmer in C++ and C# and should
be able to handle PHP easily. I'm also good at designing and have decent
photoshop, web programming, and web designing skills especially with
jquery.

For the longest time I've been hoping to sync my contacts, bookmarks and
calendars with my PCs, Web UI, and phone.  I've tried Kolab which works
great on the Web, and on KDE, but doesn't work with the phone. I now have an
android phone, so Web and phone are great, but KDE desktop isn't.

I've also tried to build my own cloud on my home server by making use of
gallery2, ampache, and it works decently but leaves a lot to be desired when
it comes to browsing on the phone.  In addition I have used coherence UPnP
to share my media across the home appliances like TVs which works very very
well.  Also I've experimented with MythTV and MediaPortal to bring
convergence to media.  E.g Music on the TV, TV all on the computers, Picture
on the Web, TV, Computers, and Phone.

I'm hoping I can help ownCloud bring a platform that's seamless when it
comes to desktop, web and mobile integration. Are there any plans for RSS
syncing? or Bookmark syncing? I can help start with those.

Is the Media API stable? I can help write the plugin for coherence that will
share music over UPnP or DLNA.  I'll try to make it work with Windows Media
Player too?

Regards,

Sunil