[Owncloud] Re: KDE/OwnCloud file sync client

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Wed Mar 16 22:03:41 UTC 2011

Hi Klaas,

On Wednesday 16 March 2011 10:00:16 Klaas Freitag wrote:
> I compiled it and installed the plugin. But the termcli did not return for
> me, nothing happened. Obviously I did something wrong.
Error handling is one of the rough edges.  Thats why its still pre-alpha.  If it just hangs when something wrong happens.  Note that the client doesn't give feedback as data is collected, so it could appear that nothing is happening while data is collected.  Also make sure you have debug output enabled, as that is the only way status messages are printed.

> I am also interested in a proper file sync library for the owncloudification
> of my project Kraft [1] but I was thinking on doing it on base of WebDAV,
> with the help of webdav attributes for the file version.
> Did you consider that?
I did think of using webdav, but then I can't do an rsync like transfer to owncloud.  I was able to quickly build the necessary plugin for owncloud to get basic full file uploading, and later I intend to put the rsync transfer there.  The plugin I'm developing has a simple interface, and could be used for any other project, including Kraft.

Also I'm intending to keep the actually sync code separate from the gui in its own library.  It currently builds the library but its not setup to actually install or be used externally (its also not ready, important things like d-ptrs are missing).  You could potentially use that library in the future inside your Kraft.  Let me know if you would be interested, as its still easy to change the design if it can fit.

Matthew