[Owncloud] Re: Ideas for improving owncloud

Debayan Banerjee debayanin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 16:27:23 UTC 2011

On 24 February 2011 04:30, Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho
<tuliom at quites.com.br> wrote:

> I think Git is simpler than that.
> I saves all copies of a file. There is no need to use deltas. ;-)

One problem with git is that it does not resume a broken transfer.
Also git does not have an API/library so you will have to call it on
the command line all the time.

> I think that it will be necessary to modify the way that git works because it
> was created to provide versions for the whole repository (like SVN) and not
> per file (like CVS) as used in other services. Anyway, this can simplify
> everything.

I dont think this is a big problem. One can use git log filename to
find out the revisions which touch a particular file, or use git blame
to see changes line by line. One can even implement a timelapse viewer
on git much like
http://filehost.perforce.com/downloads/media/tlv/tlv.html. A user can
selectively overwrite a file at a particular version and we re-commit
this in the background. All these are issues for the developer, not
the user.
--
Debayan Banerjee