[Owncloud] Re: GSoC Sync Client - Server Component

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 08:16:43 UTC 2011

On 22.06.2011, at 09:51, Kamil Domański wrote:

> Hey,
>
> IMHO Riccardo has a good point. At the cost of java dependency we could bring
> the whole SyncML infrastructure in right now. This might be as an optional app
> that can be disabled if the target system lacks support, so the integrity of
> remaining features is not compromised.
> Over time we might develop our own PHP-only infrastructure and make a seamless
> switch at some point.

I don´t think this is a good idea. See my previous mail.

> The point is, it would allow us to work on a lot of future challenges right
> now, like building SyncML support into KDE PIM with the ability to test it
> now, instead of hoping for a future opportunity.

KDE PIM already supports CalDAV and CardDAV. And it´s also supported by all modern
devices and most cross platform PIM applications. So I don´t see the point why we should go with SyncML.

If you want to implement SyncML support in KDE I suggest to work at the KDE client and server part outside ownCloud and than consider it to merge into ownCloud if

1. It´s implemented in PHP. Because this is our technology we use.
2. The server is working
3. We have KDE client support so that it give KDE users an immediate benefit

I hope you understand this.

Cheers
Frank