[Owncloud] Re: GSoC Sync Client - Server Component

Cédric Venet cedric.venet at laposte.net
Mon Jun 20 18:24:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

> 2. Funambol SyncML server:
>
>      Cons:
>      1. The Server is written in Java. So the integration with the
> existing infrastructure would be slightly more time consuming as
> compared to Mooha.
>      2. Tomcat takes up around 40 to 50MB of RAM . Though most VPS
> providers provide much more than this but this leaves slightly lesser
> RAM for other apps of owncloud.

For me the question is more, what impact will depending on java have?
Needing java means that one cannot use freehost or even most personal
paid host. This imply that:
  - the minimal price per month will be >15$ (?) for high quality
webhosting or for personnal server hosting
  - More complicated setup, especially if someone need to setup appache
+ tomcat itself on a VPS
Moreover,  there would be no easy testing with easyPHP or the like.

For a project focused on everyone setting up its own server, this seems
a bad move. I can see the advantage, but the question is which project
reflect the owncloud goal the best.
At the least, if the java way is choosen, this should be made optionnal.

just my  2cents,
Regards,
Cédric