[Owncloud] Spreading and advertising

Jan-Christoph Borchardt JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org
Sun Jul 31 22:34:44 UTC 2011

Some "public relations" updates from me:

ownCloud is in development and while our vision is important it’s even
more crucial that we don’t advertise features we don’t have yet (like
encryption and versioning) because that gives false impressions and would
make us seem unreliable. Thus I edited the wiki to show the current state,
progress and future plans:

Current features: file management, WebDAV access, share via public link,
music streaming, users & groups, OpenID, LDAP
In development: sharing, desktop sync client, Android & webOS apps,
server-server sync
Planned: calendar, contacts, etc., file editing, versioning & recovery,
encryption

Feel free to add anything I forgot.

Secondly, I started an account at Diaspora, the free & open-source
decentralized social network (AGPL licensed, like ownCloud). We’re at
http://joindiaspora.com/u/owncloud and it’s already working out pretty
good for communication and outreach.

The Diaspora guys are cool and we should definitely support their project
by using it. If you don’t have an account yet, you can register freely at
http://diasp.org (another provider) or let me know your mail address so I
can send you an invite. Also, all contributors are welcome to tag their
profile with #ownCloud.

I also started to use the Identi.ca account I registered a while ago and
forgot about: http://identi.ca/owncloud

So far for non-code updates. :) Now subscribe, share, repeat and reshare
the hell out of that!