[Owncloud] Re: ownCloud design evolution

Jan-Christoph Borchardt JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org
Thu Jul 21 19:52:42 UTC 2011

On Thu, July 21, 2011 16:51, Michael Gapczynski wrote:
> Will the subentries be hidden when that view isn't currently shown? Will
> they have triggers to hide/show?

At the moment I’d say only show them in the current view, no trigger,
because they are only relevant there. There are some exceptions (probably
music player, see below) but we can still think about that when they
arise.

> I don't think the music player controls should go in the header. I think
> it
> might look better with the controls at the bottom of the screen and
> autohide
> when not being used. Or it could go into a navigation subentry for Music
> with a small album picture and controls. I actually think this might look
> cool and would still put focus on the file system.

You’re right, displaying in the header is not good. But I wouldn’t place
them at the bottom for the same reason that is spreading interface
elements around.

What about that: If music is playing and you are anywhere but the music
tab, the text of the music navigation entry vanishes to instead display 3
controls for Pause/Play, Next Song, Mute.

I also thought about using the bottom left part of the navigation to for
example display album cover and music control but I’d rather take the
approach of not distracting from work you have to do with a graphics
change that is not that relevant.

> I don't know if I like the checkboxes appearing over the icon, I'll have
> see what this looks like. I'm also uncertain about file actions appearing
> next to the name and delete being separated.

It’s basically like Identi.ca, Diaspora or Twitter, where interface
elements to reply, like, etc. only show on hover. It’s fairly common.

But yes, everything we propose, everything we build, has to and will be
tested by dogfooding & user testing.

> This wasn't mentioned and has been part of the interface for a while, but
> do
> users understand that the power icon is used for logging out?

There weren’t any issues with it in the tests so far. But as no one
remarked that yet – good catch btw – I will pay extra attention to that.

> Are there plans for a mobile interface or will we just be suggesting that
> users use the mobile apps that are being developed?

We totally need to be mobile compatible with the web interface as well. It
would have been the next step in my thoughts and thank you for bringing
that up. It will also be helpful for the mobile client development.