[Owncloud] Re: 2.0 beta

Justin Kirby justin at neomantra.org
Thu Jul 21 12:58:13 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 5:38 AM, Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>

> I think it makes sense to release an ownCloud 2.0 beta in the next few
> weeks before the Desktop Summit.
>
> So it is important that everybody helps to stabilize the current codebase
> as much as possible.
>
> It has to be possible to switch incomplete features off with a
> configuration switch in the code if they are not developed in a branch.
>
> And we should also collect a list of showstoppers for the 2.0 release.
>

> Does this make sense?

Hi, I've been lurking on the list for a while now and just thought I'd jump
in for a second.  As a user I would love to see a 2.0 beta release and agree
this would help get people excited at the Desktop Summit for sure.  However
I'd just like to suggest that if you do this you make sure to provide
updated packages for major linux distros so people can immediately and
easily install/upgrade to try it out.  Also, in general, it'd be great if
you could provide clear upgrade instructions on the wiki somewhere for
people who want to use a newer release than what is in their distro software
repos.  Currently the wiki only has installation instructions for people
starting from scratch meaning that anyone using Kubuntu (not sure about
other distros) is likely still using 1.1.

Thanks, and looking forward to checking out v2.0 :)  Btw, if you need help
with any non-coding related tasks let me know and I'd be happy to help where
possible.

-Justin