[Owncloud] Re: Website brainstorming review

Jan-Christoph JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org
Thu Jul 14 08:59:19 UTC 2011

Hey,

On Thu, July 14, 2011 02:08, Damien Tardy-Panis wrote:
> Hey, sorry guys I'm quite slow these days to answer and to do things...

No problem. We’re all volunteers so we have the same problem. :)

> Yes I agree that a video would be awesome but it's quite long to do I
> think.
> To make that video, do you know some free softwares we can use to create
> simple animations?
> In the very first version, we can put some images (not screenshots but
> images
> that explains what ownCloud is).

I would just do a short 1-minute screencast with an actual installation of
ownCloud, showing and explaining it at the same time. That’s not too
difficult. (And I would use Kazam for it: https://launchpad.net/kazam )

> Yes I understand now a bit more the concept and the point of doing that.
> And
> in fact I was just thinking exactly like you about putting the fields in
> the
> top bar ;-)

Great!

>> Here’s my idea of a structure with sub-entries and short explanation:
>>
>> News: blog, contributor blogs (ownCloud entries), Identi.ca #tag &
>> !group,
>> Diaspora #tag, commit feed, the web about ownCloud
>
> I agree about the content. Then, there are different ways of presenting
> them:
> either separate the different things or gather them one page.
> I think that putting all on one page will be too much and they have
> different
> target people (commit feed for techies). But maybe one section for each of
> them will be too much. For example, should we separate the blog from the
> contributor's blogs?
> This part will need to be designed properly.

Yep, it’s probably best to default to the official blog and have the
official identi.ca account in the left sidebar below the navigation
(Frank, are you the owner of http://identi.ca/owncloud ? Also I’m trying
to get the Twitter account for ownCloud.)
We can have subcategories on the left side:
Blog (which will have blog + identi.ca in the sidebar)
Planet (I actually dislike the word planet but it’s kind of established.
The contributor blog entries would go there. Sidebar would be for links to
the individual blogs)
Buzz (better word, will have messages on ownCloud by everyone on
identi.ca, Diaspora & Twitter in one stream)
Development (git activity)
And "the web about ownCloud" (which we should have a different name for.
Articles on other sites)

>> Discover
>> * History: http://owncloud.org/index.php/Main_Page#Introduction
>> * Features: what is already available?
>> * Compare: to Dropbox, iCloud, Ubuntu One, SpiderOak,etc.
>> * Roadmap: planned features
>
> Ok, I would just rename History to something different. Nobody (or few
> people)
> cares in fact about the History of the project. Whereas if we put Mission,
> Vision or something like this, it is more engaging for them to come to see
> and
> discover the ideas behind ownCloud.

Right, I completely agree.

By the way, when I did the presentation yesterday I discovered that it’s
apparently a common misconception that ownCloud is already capable of
syncing (also, that it has KDE dependencies). We definitely need to make
it clear what the features are:
at the moment: file management, web interface, share files by public link,
connect via WebDAV, …
in development: desktop sync client, mobile apps (Android, webOS),
sharing, music player, contact management, server-server synchronization,
…
planned: replacement for Dropbox & iCloud/MobileMe, encryption,
versioning, sync & apps for calendar & bookmarks etc., connect to other
services (Diaspora, OpenPhoto, …), …

Excuse me if I forgot something. That is the basic form I would have that
somewhere on the page (most probably on Features) so it’s evident to
people what works, what doesn’t work but will next month and what we would
love to have contributors on.

> If we make things easy to use, they won't need a "how to use?"  section.

Exactly. We should aim to make documentation obsolete, if I may say so.

>> Contact: Team, mailing list, IRC, logo
>
> Ok but what does logo mean here?

Actually I put that there because I didn’t know where else. We need some
site for "Press" that has logos. I always cringe when I want to use
project logos in a presentation, on http://libreprojects.net or in a blog
post and they don’t have high-res ones. But yeah, we can put that
anywhere, I just want to make sure it’s there.

> Great, it is improving! the sharing and mixing of ideas is working ;-)

Yeah, I like it a lot!

> Could we setup a meeting on IRC to discuss now the development of the
> website?
> Or maybe you are on IRC everyday?
> This Thursday evening will be fine for me.

Yes, 21:00 CEST today would work for me (10 hours from now).
Aamir? Florian? Anyone else interested?