[Owncloud] Re: Website brainstorming review

Jan-Christoph JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org
Mon Jul 11 12:22:58 UTC 2011

For everyone on the mailing list, Damien’s mockup is also at:
https://gitorious.org/jancborchardt/jancborchardt/blobs/master/ownCloud/website%20design%20Damien.png

That’s great! You’re right with removing the second row, that doesn’t
belong on the front page and makes it too busy.

I did some testing with my earlier mockup and an explanation video seems
very important. Instead of having a separate screenshots gallery we should
make a slider out of the image/video box and also incorporate them on the
Features page.

Yes, having the main site be the index site of the standard ownCloud
installation would look like http://joindiaspora.com – instead of the
functions & links on the top bar we could even put both username &
password fields there so people can log in directly.
The basic idea is that every ownCloud installation should provide a little
info on the project. For example if you get a public link with
http://domain.com/webspace/LINK you could go to domain.com/webspace and
check out what it’s about.

Here’s my idea of a structure with sub-entries and short explanation:

News: blog, contributor blogs (ownCloud entries), Identi.ca #tag & !group,
Diaspora #tag, commit feed, the web about ownCloud

Discover
* History: http://owncloud.org/index.php/Main_Page#Introduction
* Features: what is already available?
* Compare: to Dropbox, iCloud, Ubuntu One, SpiderOak,etc.
* Roadmap: planned features

Use (just for users, no coding / terminal whatsoever)
* Try it: live instance, reset regularly
* Web: list of providers
* Desktop: download links to desktop app / WebDAV connection info
* Mobile: download links to mobile app
* Apps & plugins: list of currently available

Host: Requirements (for admins or providers wanting to set up their ownCloud)
* Install: download, instructions
* Configure

Contribute: opportunities / tasks, similar to
http://owncloud.org/index.php/Tasks
* Report a bug: http://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=owncloud probably
best to have a small explanation. But even then you need an account which
is cumbersome.
* Develop: development setup: http://owncloud.org/index.php/Contribute,
apps & plugins http://owncloud.org/index.php/Developer
* Translate: http://owncloud.org/index.php/Localization what about