[Owncloud] Re: KDE owncloud client

Riccardo Iaconelli riccardo at kde.org
Wed Jan 26 11:05:49 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 26 January 2011 07:26:07 kunal wrote:
> Hi riccardo,
> I want to work on ownCloud-sync KDE client, for this year's
> GSOC, can you point to portions of owncloud that need work.
>
> I propose to use (and am very comfortable with) python , for
> the client.

Hi! :)
I'm glad that you want to contribute to ownCloud. This is my idea of the
better way to implement a sync client.

The work would be split in two, and would mostly consist of implementing the
SyncML API with it. There is a well tested package which can provide that -
it's Funambol, which is AGPL and written in Java.
The work would mostly consist in:
 - Understanding how much painful it is to ship Funambol directly with
ownCloud, and providing an easy way to install everything togehter.
 - Integrating Funambol's storage with ownCloud's, or make ownCloud read
funambol's storage (eventually for other datatypes too, like contacts,
calendar, ...).
 - Provide a fallback implementation in PHP (using one of the pletora of other
libraries available), which either implements all of the specification, or
just a subset of it, maybe only files, so that we don't let PHP-only users
down.

All of this is just an idea, and we need to evaluate all the option with
SyncML solutions first, to see how well they work.

The client itself is already under development, and it's akunambol, of which
I'm the maintainer. It is currently in the process of being modularized, and
we are creating an API to be able to allow very easily creation of different
sync types.

Once that is in place, it would be very easy (I estimate less than 100 rows of
code) to write the plugin to sync files. The biggest work would then be
integrading SyncML in ownCloud. Doing this will also bring the possibility to
add many other synchronization types to ownCloud, as I was saying before, PIM
data, or other things. Since SyncML is a standard this will also allow other
devices (iPhones, blackberries, MeeGo ...) to sync with it.

Let me know of what you think, I'm CC'ing akunambol's and ownClouds mailing
lists so that everybody can provide feedback.

Bye,
-Riccardo