[Owncloud] Re: Dropbox-like syncing

Matthew Dawson matthew at mjdsystems.ca
Fri Jan 21 14:52:49 UTC 2011

On Friday 21 January 2011 04:46:42 Andreas Schneider wrote:
> > I've started working on a custom client + ownCloud plugin to support such
> > functionality.  I haven't uploaded my code so far (its only in the
> > beginning stages), but I can push my git repos to my scratch area if you
> > are interested in taking a look.  My eventual ideal solution would include
> > rsync like file transfer and 2 way push notification of any file changes.
>
> You should take a look at http://www.csync.org/ or better
> http://www.csync.org/userguide/ It is a two-way synchronization solution
> (rsync is one-way).
rsync the program is a one way transfer system.  However an important part of rsync is its file transfer algorithm, which transmits a minimum amount of information to update a file.  I intend to implement the algorithm for file transfer, not its synchronization algorithm (in fact I cannot use the rsync program itself since with ownCloud I only have access to php).

> It has plugin support so it would be possible to add webdav support using
> neon.
Except I have neither two push file modification, nor can webdav provide the rsync file transfer backend required (at least as far as I know).  If it can I'd use webdav for the file transfer but I still need the push notification support from my plugin.

One of Dropbox's strengths is that your folder is *always* synced with the server.  Any other type of syncing would mean that you have to run manually every so often.  And I really want to avoid very frequent polling as well.

Matthew