[Owncloud] Is PHP 5.3 needed to run ownCloud on Windows?

Jashan Chittesh jashan at ramtiga.com
Sat Dec 31 16:27:31 UTC 2011

I've read http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/owncloud/2011-December/001798.html and installed ownCloud on my Windows Server 2008, with IIS 7 and PHP 5.2.17 but ran into an issue with the function symlink() not being supported (the first page came up, but the installation failed - first just got a blank screen but after activating errors and first trying to fix something that was actually just a notice I finally saw the "Fatal error" ;-) ).

It took me a little research to figure out that seemingly, symlink() is supported on Windows only starting with PHP 5.3. See also the changelog at: http://php.net/manual/en/function.symlink.php

I'm not really doing much with PHP and what I do is running fine, so I first hesitated doing the upgrade from 5.2 to 5.3 (there's a couple of blog postings that could really scare you ;-) ). But, upgrading to 5.3 did fix the issue and ownCloud is now working.

So that information should probably be included at http://owncloud.org/install/advanced/ ... unless I'm mistaken and ownCloud actually does run on PHP 5.2 on Windows ;-)

Sunny regards,
Jashan
--
Und das, was uns am Ende befreit ...
... ist das Hören auf die Möglichkeit!

That, which in the end will set us free ...
... is listening, to endless possibility!

(Jashan, 2010-03-01)