[Owncloud] comparative advertising

Alessandro Cosentino cosenal at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 22:50:29 UTC 2011

Hi,
what do you guys think about doing some comparative advertising
pro-ownCloud and "against" services like Dropbox or Apple iCloud.
Whenever I encourage people to use ownCloud, the most typical question
I get is of the kind: "how is it different from Dropbox? Why should I
switch?"

In my opinion, this should be made more explicit on the
owncloud.com/.org website.
Besides highlighting the plus points of ownCloud, I believe we should
also highlight weaknesses of the other services.
For instance, in my university, Dropbox clients can't be installed in
the lab machines, because of their policy, see:
http://www.math.uwaterloo.ca/mfcf/info/policies/dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/terms/#security
How about explicitly writing this example on the owncloud webpage?

Cheers,
Alessandro