[Owncloud] ownCloud, Inc.

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Wed Dec 14 08:35:24 UTC 2011

Hi everybody,

today is an exiting day. You probably already heard the news. We founded a company around ownCloud.
ownCloud is and always will be free software and the development will be controlled my us, by the community on this public mailing list. The idea is that ownCloud Inc. helps us in important areas, which are difficult for a free software project to cover.

- Developers can pay their rent with working full time on ownCloud. Are you looking for a job? Drop me a line.
- ownCloud Inc. helps with market ownCloud in the IT world more effective than an open source project can do.
- ownCloud Inc. brings ownCloud to companies, governments, schools and other organizations.
- It helps developers with travel support and other costs
- It helps with infrastructure.

So ownCloud Inc. helps us in several important areas without taking any freedom away.

Please read the announcements here for more information:
http://blog.karlitschek.de/2011/12/owncloud-inc-and-owncloud-community.html
http://owncloud.com/blog/welcome-to-owncloud-inc
http://owncloud.com/blog/popular-open-source-file-sharing-project-creates-commercial-entity

I suggest doing a Q&A session on IRC today so that we can discuss potential open questions.
6pm GMT at #ownCloud

:-)

Cheers
Frank