[Owncloud] Fwd: Can't upload files greater than 2047 MB

Eric Griffith egriffith92 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 19:31:34 UTC 2011

(Disclaimer I havent read the entire mailing list thread on this yet,
just saw this one but I had this same issue)

Overview: The 2047Mb Limit is because of the 32bit limit on integer
sizes, because this issue is changed in /etc/php/php.ini I am assuming
that it is not something that OwnCloud can or cannot change and would
have to be done on the php side of things.

Here's what I dont understand (my knowledge is C/C++ biased so correct
me here) for something like "File_Upload" Why didnt they (php) use a
long integer? you cant have a negative file size and so it doesnt make
any sense to allow the +/- 2 billion bytes. Instead of allowing a file
size of negative 2 billion up to positive 2 billion, why not make it a
long and allow only 0 bytes up through 4 billion bytes? Thus allowing
even 32bit OS's to work with files up to, essentially, the amount of
memory they cap out at (ignoring PAE) for the exact same reason. RAM
count is (presumably) a long int because you cant have a negative amount
of ram, why not file size?