[Owncloud] OwnCloud - Question about fetching favicons in bookmark section

Arthur Schiwon blizzz at arthur-schiwon.de
Tue Aug 30 12:42:32 UTC 2011

Hey Golnaz,

On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:34:55 +0430, Golnaz Nilieh
<golnaz.nilieh at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Arthur,
> I'm working on favicon support in bookmark section of owncloud.
thanks for working in this! :)

> It works almost well, but I need to consult you about a question:
>
> For each bookmark, I get a .png image from http://g.etfv.co/ , and save
it
> somewhere for later use.
Do you have further information about this service, e.g. is it free /
which is the licence? Basically this makes sense, of course, to keep
Internet traffic low.

> At first I created data/favicons/ folders inside bookmark/ folder, but
we I
> think they should be saved outside the application directory, somewhere
> like
> the main data/ folder.
> But every user has a directory corresponding to his/her username there,
and
> creating a favicon/ folder there may cause conflicts.
> What's your opinion?
I think we can decouple favicons from user-specific bookmarks, in order to
not redundantly store multiple favicons of the same webpage. Therefore
another table in the database can be established (that was my first
thought). I would not like to save files in the user file system - this
should be only for files the user moves, modifies and deletes. I.e. i favor
the solution inside the bookmarks app directory. Since it is beneficial to
have all data at one (or fewest possible) place – alone for easier backups
– I'd go with the database solution.

Two things to consider:
- Theoretically web sites can have different favicons on different pages
(esp. sub domains), but as few as possible should be stored
- Also in my mind are thumbnails of web pages, so when designing the
storage solution it should be flexible enough to be expanded for another
image.

ccing the ML, maybe there are further opinions?

Cheers
Arthur