[Owncloud] Spreading and advertising

Jan-Christoph Borchardt JanCBorchardt at fsfe.org
Wed Aug 3 00:20:40 UTC 2011

Yo,

On Tue, August 2, 2011 22:53, Aaron Reichman wrote:
> potential 2.0 release.
> any word on how that's going? Frank, if you could chime in with your
thoughts?

As I mentioned on IRC before, anything we release publicly as a package
next should be labeled "alpha" at most. Beta is becoming more and more of
a term used by everyone, especially Google, to denote ready-to-use apps.
Even Diaspora is still in alpha.

Also, I am all for waiting to release "ownCloud 2.0 alpha" until we can
include sharing because it’s so killer. Releasing a preview for Desktop
Summit is one thing which we can do (and would sure get publicity) – but
on the other hand we don’t have a desktop client yet and I’d rather have
it we not release the "official" alpha only for the sake of the
conference.

Let me know your thoughts. :)

Btw, the communication on Diaspora & Identi.ca is really, really awesome.
Lots of questions, answers, private messages. I’m really comfortable that
we support other free, open & rad web projects. I talked with Aaron about
getting active on Twitter – which I’d say is only cool if we are able to
get Twitter to give us the @owncloud account (currently taken by a
0-poster) to have repeats / retweets always link to a valid ownCloud
account.

And last: we love the people from MediaGoblin, Unhosted & PageKite! If you
haven’t checked out these projects you totally should. Also join their IRC
channels. :)

Thanks to everyone working on ownCloud. This is an amazing project!