[Owncloud] Re: Participating with the project & GSoC

Robin Appelman icewind1991 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 17:10:44 UTC 2011

Hi

On Saturday 30 April 2011 18:31:08 Antonio José Gallo Sánchez wrote:
> Hello!
>
> This mail is for introducing myself, and for offering my participation in
> the owncloud project. First, I'll tell you a little about my background:
>
>    - I'm an almost last year student of Computer Science at Complutense
>    University of Madrid
>    - Next (academic) year I'm gonna study master courses at Technische
>    Universiteit Eindhoven within a exchange program.
Cool, guess where I'm currently studying computer science :)

>    - I've developed a lot with open source software, but always in very
>    small teams (2-3) and never in GUI and related. Never participated in a
>    serious open source project
>    - Last year, I started (with a couple of friends) a project very very
>    similar to owncloud, but we only did some design work, nothing serious,
> just before owncloud was launched. The project was abandoned when owncloud
> was launched.
>
> I've seen the two talks cited in the owncloud wiki by Frank Karlitschek,
> and I agree with the ideas. I do believe in the owncloud project, and i
> would like to participe on it.
>
> I've seen that some of the features are going to be developed as GSoC
> projects, and i really would like to collaborate into one. Does anyone
> needs an extra hand on it? What would be the conditions? If no one needs
> help, I'll like to start a GSoC project on my own, concerning a new
> owncloud feature of course.
>
> Forgive me if this is not the right way to introducing myself or something.
> I'd love to find more resources to learn about the owncloud project since
> the wiki is pretty brief, so any advise would be appreciated.
>
> Greetings!

It's to late to start a gsoc project but there are plenty other options to
contribute, you can just come up with a nice feature and start hacking or we
can try to get you a mentor for summer of kde[1].

Either way it's always great to have people interested in contributing.

[1]: http://blog.lydiapintscher.de/2011/04/25/announcing-season-of-kde-2011/

 - Robin Appelman