[Owncloud] Re: suggestions for improvement

François K. daitheflu at free.fr
Fri Nov 5 15:17:28 UTC 2010

Hi,

Me again :)
Just a word to say that I fully agree with s8inac.

1/ Regarding files organization, I personnaly do the following for every projects I manage :

 /
 + apps
    + application_1
       + classes
       + config
       + controllers
       + misc
       - index.php
    - index.php
 + www
    + application_1
       + css
       + images
       + js
       - index.php
    - index.php

Let me explain the thing :
I always separate the "public" folder (here it's called 'www', but yours might be 'public_html' or whatever) from the rest for security purpose. Everything in 'www' should be considered as public. When the webserver works as expected, it's OK to have everything in it (included .php files), but when it doesn't, it can suck a lot. Facebook got hacked because of that : the webserver was serving .php files as plain text !
So, in my 'www' folder, I have only :
- a 'css' folder that contains stylesheets,
- a 'js' folder that contains javascripts,
- an 'images' folder with all images,
- an index.php file that "redirects" (require_once) to "../../apps/application_1/index.php".

See ? Nothing important in it. So, if the webserver fails and starts to serve files as plain text, hackers would only see the path to the app index page (which isn't important since it's not public).

In the apps folder, I have a folder for each hosted app/site ('application_1' in my example). Each one contains :
- a 'classes' folder where I store all my classes,
- a 'config' folder to store config files (app preferences or DB connexion stuff),
- a 'controllers' folder to store the PHP programs that do stuff such as querying the DB, getting stuff from files, etc.,
- a 'misc' folder to store helpers PHP functions, libraries, and stuff like that,
- a 'views' folder to store HTML files that can be filled with data gathered by controllers, thanks to the PHP alternative syntax (see http://php.net/manual/en/control-structures.alternative-syntax.php).

As you can see, I also have index.php files everywhere to redirect where I want.

Allright, this is just an example. I'm not saying we have to make things this way. But I think it would be a good practice to define a well-structured tree. Examples of files organizations can be found in every PHP framework.

2/ What about defining our own namespace ?

3/ Also, wouldn't it be better for devs to have their own branch rather than their own git clone ?

As always, any comment is welcome !
And I promise to stop bothering you with my emails until tomorrow ;)

Cheers,

--
François