[Owncloud] Diaspora

Jos Poortvliet jospoortvliet at gmail.com
Fri May 14 08:07:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 9:54 AM, Bugs Bane <bugsbane at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope I'm missing something here, but from what I saw on their videos it
> looked like there was more of a focus on aggregating all your information
> from the various closed social networks, rather than liberating you from
> using them altogether. :/
> Being decentralised is cool, although I'd love to know how they'll solve the
> problem of finding other people to connect with. For all Eben Moglens
> otherwise excellent talk calling facebook nothing but webhosting with php
> doodads, he misses the point that FaceBook's real unique selling point is a
> massive network effect that makes it easy to find people you're not already
> in contact with. If they can keep it totally decentralised *and* so that
> people can still use it to find contacts they haven't talked to in years,
> they'll be onto a real winner.
> I'm pretty impressed though that they managed to raise over 100k in under
> two weeks for this. That suggests to me that there *is* a strong demand for
> secure, private social/cloud services.

Yes, it is a surprise, but less than it would have been a year ago.
>From what I've seen people are more than willing to offer money to
developers - the devs just have to come up with a good plan and it
will happen. See the Krita fundraiser - hugely successful.

We could do something similar for owncloud, once we have a new release
out we can outline our plans, say how much it would cost for one or
two of the devs on this list to work on it dedicatedly, and do a
fundraiser.

I would obviously help with that as promo dude, but you guys have to
come up with the (technical) plan and the people who want to execute
it.

cheers,
Jos