[Owncloud] Questions and ideas

Clément 'clemux' Schreiner clemux+kde at clemux.info
Thu Mar 25 12:07:57 UTC 2010

> A decentralized social network would be the final goal. But there are still
> some technical problems to make this happen.

About that, I think the PSYC project would be interesting to look into. To
quote http://about.psyc.eu/ :
"PSYC is a protocol for a messaging infrastructure for text-based
conferencing, but also enabling transparent binary data. It has learned from
protocols such as IRC and XMPP and found an approach that should indeed scale
globally, by generalizing the multicast concept beyond chatrooms to presence
awareness, news- and friendcasting. It leers at decentralized privacy-driven
social networking (using trust metrics), telephony and audio/video
conferencing. Chatrooms are programmable, which enables for applications such
as event notification.

PSYC is not in competition with IRC and Jabber. As psyced implements both,
they are a very strong presence in the PSYC experience. PSYC has spent more
time on the design of a robust scaling interserver protocol, whereas the other
two protocols treat it like a necessary evil. We think all three protocols
make a great team and unity if IRC and Jabber stay strong on the client side
while PSYC is in charge of interserver traffic. Yet, we love to see powerful
native PSYC clients, too... "

(See also http://about.psyc.eu/Introduction)

What is really great with PSYC, is that they kept interoperability in mind:
the PSYC server psyced also acts as a XMPP server and as an IRC server,
implementing both client and interserver protocols.

And of course, it is not limited to text-based conferencing: experimental
features like microblogging (with interfaces to twitter and other systems),
real-time "push" notifications, friends profiles surfing (facebook-style), among
others, are already working (well, more like proof-of-concept).

http://about.psyc.eu/Social_network
http://about.psyc.eu/Microblogging
http://about.psyc.eu/Strength

They have done a great work of documenting a lot of different protocols,
websites, etc. with their flaws and advantages, on the wiki.

That said, I don't know if the course of action to take would be collaboration
between the two projects, integration, or just drawing inspiration from their
work... :)