[Owncloud] Synchronization in owncloud

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Tue Mar 23 19:49:02 UTC 2010

On 22.03.2010, at 21:52, Hasanat Kazmi wrote:

> 5. Clearing my "service discovery" point: We always have to enter URL of WebDav host. If we use service discovery mechanism (e.g. like that used in iTunes, which finds other computers in the network sharing music), then we can automatically locate the server which is being hosted within the network -- e.g. if take out my laptop and connect to home network, Now my cloud is also hosted in my home network and it exposes its host service to the network. The client on my laptop will find it automatically and tell me that my last sync was with that host (or there is a new host, do I want to create a sync relationship with that?).
> Secondly, I can also search for hosts/clouds... Do you think this can be a good feature.. Right now all syncing solutions lack such a functionality.

This is an interesting idea. I think it is not a common usecase that you don´t have you owncloud configured yet and you don´t know the url.
But why not :-)

> We go with WebDav. I still have reservations for large file: if we are transferring a blue-ray movie and connection breaks half-through, so on reconnection, do we have to start transfer from beginning or can we implement a download manager sort of functionality to tackle this?

True. At the moment I suggest to go with WebDAV because it works with all operation system, you don´t need a client application, no problems with proxyservers and firewall. Open standard. Easy to install the server and more.
But at a later stage we could develop our own protocol of course. At the moment I think we should go with WebDAV.

> I have a little confusion about what have you envisioned. Should it be something like, a folder which syncs automatically (like dropbox) or are you envisioning something more.... please elaborate.

I think we want to have different ways to access the data. Mounting with fuse or direct access with the WebDAV kioslave if you have a fast internet connection, webinterface if you have no local storage like on mobile phones, or syncing of all files or a part of the files if you need offline support like on notebooks.

I think the GSoC project should solve only the syncing part.

--
Frank Karlitschek
karlitschek at kde.org