[Owncloud] OwnClouds Future

Cosmin Gorgovan cosmin at linux-geek.org
Sun Mar 21 22:34:05 UTC 2010

Hello,
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 12:28 AM, Cosmin Gorgovan<cosmin at linux-geek.org>  wrote:
>
>> In any case, I want to implement extensive caching, read-ahead and other
>> optimizations.
>>
> These things must be done by very low-level stuff provided by
> operating system, e.g. davfs might use either its own caching or put
> it on VFS and driver (afair in Linux most caching is done by VFS and
> driver (network, disk, etc)).
My proposal was to write a FUSE (that is, file system in userspace)
driver because:

    * davfs2 doesn't work (at least at the moment) with ownCloud
    * you need root privileges to mount a share
    * from what I've read, it doesn't do read-ahead

And if using a regular daemon for synchronizing your home directory
you'd probably get lots of conflicts because you won't be able to tell
apps "wait before I check if that file already exists", etc.
>   Syncing client is not system software

I'd say a python script running under the user's account isn't either.
> and it provides operations on high level: versioning,
Shouldn't the server do that, especially as the project features say it
needs to get rid of older revisions if it is running out of space?