[Owncloud] Synchronization in owncloud

Hasanat Kazmi hasanatkazmi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 16:51:28 UTC 2010

Hi,

1. I think a very good contender for synchronization in our case can be
Unison. Please do read this [1], its FAQ and a comparision between unision,
rsync and webdav.
2. Rsync doesn't require SSH, it needs it for security. The same goes for
webdav. We can always use rsync on 80 or 443 but then we will lose ability
of server to have a website on 80 and I think this can't be gone away with.
3. Rsync fails at versioning, though it makes quite decent logs.
4. We can discuss about GUI once we decide what to do with core system. PyQT
is my favorite though.
5. We must put some service discovery mechanism too. I have worked with
ZeroConf. That can be used here.

More ideas please..

[1]
http://alliance.seas.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/wiki/index.php?n=Main.UnisonFAQGeneral