[Owncloud] Ask for configuration on first run.

Robin icewind1991 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 20:39:28 UTC 2010

First of all I would like to say that I love the idea of ownCloud and would
like to see if I'm able to help out.

After I read about ownCould in a blog post today I downloaded the source and
tried it out.
On the first try, it failed because the configurations where wrong.

This isn't something I think it should do.

An enthusiastic users installs  the ownCloud server on his pc.
When he tries it out, instead of seeing a good web-interface for a
wonderful product, he gets presented by a bunch of error messages because he
didn't change the config yet

I think a better solution would be to ask the user for the configuration.

Attached to this mail is my quick attempt to provide that, when no config is
present, it will show a form asking for them (and it tries to provide some
sane defaults) and will save them to the config file.

Another problem I had is that currently ownCloud assumes it's installed in the
root of the domain (some_domain.net instead of i.e. some_domain.net/owncloud)
My solution is to use a new configuration item to define the url ownCloud is
installed in.
I changed some links to use this config item but I guess there are still ones
who always point at root.

I hope I can contribute to this wonderful project.

-- Robin Appelman