[Owncloud] ownCloud 1.0 RC1 issues

Frank Karlitschek karlitschek at kde.org
Tue Jun 1 10:46:54 UTC 2010

Hi all,

thanks a lot for the great work of all of you in the last few weeks. Especially because I hadn´t much time lately. :-)
I think we achieved a lot and we are on the right track to produce a fantastic piece of software.

I tried to package and release ownCloud 1.0 RC1 during this weekend like I announced last week. The plan is to release 1.0 during Linuxtag next week and do a 1.0.1 shortly after this with bugfixes.

But I noticed a few major problems.

1. I got 2 scrollbars on the right hand side of the browser at the first run wizard.
This looks strange.

2. Initial database setup
I think the current configuration form is O.K. for now. But in the future we should streamline it more. All the database password and logins are confusing for normal users.
I think we should default to SQLite where it automatically detects is a database exists and if not just creates it. No need to ask the users questions here. There could be an option to switch to mysql of course where all the advanced options for database authentication are shown. I also don´t get SQLite as an option here. It seams that a driver is mission on this system here. But we should tell the users what is missing.

Remember that the vision is that the user just has to unpack owncloud in a random directory on a webserver and it works without further system administration configuration work.

3. usermanagement / groups.
I don´t think the existing multiuser features are ready for release at this moment. So I think this should be deativated. And I´m also not sure If the direction is the right one. I have some concrete plans and code for the sharing features already. This feature needs more discussion. It would be nice if somebody could deativate this features again for 1.0
Thanks.

4. Settings / Admin Panel.
I don´t get why we have 2 different places for configuration here.
Could we please discuss this further?

By the way. We should use this mailinglist to discuss major architectural changes and big commit.
It is important that we are on the same page here and work in the same direction. :-)

We should use this mailinglist as "official" platform to decide about the direction of ownCloud. IRC is not the right medium because people who are not online at this moment can´t tell their opinion.

Cheers
Frank

--
Frank Karlitschek