[Owncloud] Suggestions

Cyrille Berger cberger at cberger.net
Thu Jul 15 07:26:58 UTC 2010

On Thursday 15 July 2010, iberlynx wrote:
> I stand corrected.
>
> What about my suggestion of only locking locally within a couple of words
> of other user's editing? And about using a duchain-like structure aware
> system?
> And about block formatting changes that span over other users changes,
> giving those 3 choices?
It seems to me that you are trying to fit the tool to solve the problem, which
is a wrong approach because it will leads you to add work around to work
around. It would be better to analyse the problem and then find the best tool.

However, there is a very simple way to test the idea of using git for
collaborative editing of text and odf file. You can easily simulate an editing
session, and conflict. In KWord (and I think OOWriter too) you can save a ODF
document to a directory, that you can then put under revision control by git.
If you use several KWord instance, saving to different repository, and then
manually push between the different git repository, you should be able to test
different editing scenarios and see what works, and what does not.

--
Cyrille Berger