[Owncloud] Suggestions

iberlynx iberlynx at lavabit.com
Thu Jul 15 05:52:06 UTC 2010

Sure, I'm not saying git is imperative, although git IIRC merges all kinds of text, not just code, and office (XML) files are just text wright? And is pretty fast.
My point was that IMHO, there should be no need to slow the interface down because of locking, since we can fix the inconsistencies with an intelligent merge algorithm.
I agree with you that a context (from structured media) aware (something like the duchain of kdevelop) solution would simplify things a bit.
But still i think git is wright in not merging within the same line, because if two people do opposing changes in the same line, we've got a problem. Maybe the solution lies with the standard highlighting the line that the other user is editing, which is already an intuitive visual deterrent for editing that line, combined with the locking of only that highlighted line. So if the user for example tries to change formatting of a whole paragraph which contains said highlighted line (other user is editing), the interface just flashes and gives out some kind of warning that you can't edit the same line other users are editing remotely, and asks: do you wish to 1. don't apply formatting, 2. apply formatting to the rest of the lines, 3. suggest the other user to apply formatting to the whole block?
The rest of the text should be totally free to edit everything with no latency at all.

what do you say?