[Owncloud] Installing owncloud using MySQL with UTF-8 charset

Kevin Adler adler187 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 18:24:46 UTC 2010

I got this error when running the initial configuration using MySQL:

#1071 - Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

My hosting uses utf-8 collation by default, so I had to change it to
Latin-1:

ALTER DATABASE DEFAULT CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_bin

Perhaps a note about this in the INSTALL file or adjust the SQL scripts to
add "CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_bin" or similar.

I wrote this comment on Frank's blog, but he said to send it here. It has
been a bit since then, so perhaps he has already done so, by now.

--
Kevin Adler

KD0GTJ