[Open-collaboration-services] OCS 1.6 draft - download, repositories, package names

Jackie Wu jackie.wu at intel.com
Fri Jul 30 04:19:10 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:21:18 +0800, Mateu Batle
<mateu.batle at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> comments below
>
> On 07/27/2010 03:16 PM, Frank Karlitschek wrote:
>> On 20.07.2010, at 20:28, Mateu Batle wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>

>> Hi Mat,
>>

>>> there is one problem with the current draft, there is no way from the
>>> client to know the package name and repository until we really issue
>>> the
>>> download to the OCS server (and thus incrementing the download count).
>>> We need to know in advance, since the client checks if the application
>>> is already installed or not, or if there is an update available (that
>>> is
>>> done through the repository currently).
>>>
>>> Can we change it so we can get this information efficiently somehow
>>> without altering the download count ? Maybe in content list request.
>>>

>> Hmmm. The idea is to provide the repository and the package name only
>> with the download method.
>> This ensures that the client really calls this method. This is
>> important to handle the download counter, store which users has what
>> app and handles payment.
>>

> Agree about download counter, our client will call the download method
> too.
>

>> In KDE (GHNS) we use the version field to check if a new version of a
>> content is available.
>> We store the version number of the current installed content and
>> compare it with the version on the server.
>>
>> Isn´t this also possible for your usecase?
>>

> I don't think this works for our case. I'm not familiar with GHNS, but I
> guess in GHNS you have the application hardcoded,
> so you just have to get a specific content data (content get method) and
> check version against current hardcoded version.
> In our case it is not possible because we have an application installer,
> so we can have many applications installed,
> the only way to know if they are installed in the local system is via
> the package name and query the package installer backend
> (packagekit, yum, apt-get or whatever).

How about to add the repo into the device when it is first used?
When end user wants to install an application, the client will get the
packagename and the repo link. Then it checks if the repo has been
installed or not.
If not, the client will ask user if he/she want to import the repo into
the device. Then the repo will be installed.

To ask user to confirm might not be user friendly and it can be ignored if
the OCS provider has been approved secure. So user only need to confirm
when he/she wants to add any new OCS provider. That's better since we
suppose user is more familiar with provider than the technical word "repo".

Best Regards
Jackie