[Open-collaboration-services] Open Collaboration Services version 1.6 draft 1 - Forum component problem

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Jul 30 05:51:26 CEST 2010

== Forwarding to the new mailing list.
== Frank: Please look at the content below, I have recieved no reply
from you, despite sending this directly to you 11 days ago....

Hi all,

It appears that my previous suggestion for version 1.6, the addition
of a "categories" call to the KnowledgeBase component has not been
performed, and the creation of a seperate "Forum" module has been done
instead. It appears that this module is mostly able to meet the
requirements of providing information about a tree of forums
fortunately.

Unfortunately, it appears that absolutely no method exists in the
specification as it is currently published on freedesktop.org to allow
the listing of topics for specific forum(s) only. Nor does any
recommendation exist in the documentation for which modules should be
used to create an implementation for a forum in the Forum module
documentation, if the KnowledgeBase module is not supposed to be used.

I suggest one of the two following solutions to this issue:

1) Add a type argument to knowledgebase/list and knowledgebase/add to
allow for choosing between either the "content" or "forum" components.
This would also modify the get call to knowledgebase/get call to
become /v1/knowledgebase/data/<typeid>/<contentid>/

2) Add appropriate calls to the Forums component to replicate
knowledgebase/list, knowledgebase/add and knowledgebase/get for the
purpose of a forum.

As a type id already exists in the Comments module for the Forums
component, option 2 would be the most consistent option for the
specification, and assuming the xml output and url arguments of
knowledgebase/list and knowledgebase/get are maintained when ported to
the Forums component, it will represent no additional work for the
existing forum.kde.org implementation (server side) other than
changing a .htaccess file.

Either of the above two options is fine by me. I would like to modify
the OCS API as currently provided by the Forum to be compliant with
the altered specification as soon as possible, but cannot do that
until the ability to retrieve the list of topics from a forum id is
possible.

Regards,
Ben