[Open-collaboration-services] [REQUEST] Extend API to support gpg signature

Frederik Gladhorn gladhorn at kde.org
Mon Jul 26 22:10:23 CEST 2010

On Monday 26 July 2010 13:40:42 Diego Casella ([Po]lentino) wrote:
> 2010/7/26 Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org>
>
> > Hi Diego,
> >
> > thats a great idea. We can add a signature extension to the API as you
> > suggested,
> > Do you have a specification or a more detailed description how this
> > system should work?
>
> This is my use-case for plasmoid authentication, but it will most likely be
> extended for any type of package, let it be a theme, a wallpaper plugin or
> whatever else.
> Case #1: download scenario:
> * The user opens the KHNS widget;
> * the widget retrieves the packages infos, along with its signature field
> in an ascii-armored format (if any);
> * the widget start checking the signatures, displaying for each item the
> corresponding level of trust(good/bad/invalid sig etc..);
> * the user decides whether downloading the package or not.
>
> Case #2: upload scenario:
> * the developers want to upload its cool new package, and confirm the
> authenticity of its product;
> * he signs the package with its private gpg key, and then opens the KHNS
> Upload dialog;
> * he selects the package and the signature to upload, and then sends them
> to the service provider.
>
> As you can see, the most of the work is being done from the client-side.
> What I need is simply a the possibility to have an extra field called
> "signature" used to send it along with the package, that's all :) Then, the
> client app will take care of authenticating it.
> What's your opinion about it? Does it makes sense?

Sounds pretty good to me. Signatures are about 200 byte if I'm not mistaken. I
would almost favor to inline them in the content/get request, so we don't need
to make a separate call. Any reason not to?

For those as gpg-ignorant as I am:
Create a signature with
gpg -ab attica.tbz2
And get a file attica.tbz2.asc out of that.
That is the signature, ascii-armored.
gpg --verify attica.tbz2.asc checks the signature.
For knewstuff we'll instead use lib...something.

Signature looks like this:

Just to say it again: I'm happy to see this happening :D

Greetings
Frederik