Queries regarding adding a new 'typewriter' annotation tool to the toolbar

Dileep Sankhla sankhla.dileep96 at gmail.com
Sun May 20 09:52:04 UTC 2018

Hi Albert,
‌

On Sun, May 20, 2018 at 3:02 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:

> El divendres, 18 de maig de 2018, a les 17:04:09 CEST, Dileep Sankhla va
> escriure:
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I'm working on my GSoC project[0] with my mentor Tobias Deiminger
> > <haxtibal[at]posteo[dot]de> and I need to add a new 'typewriter' tool to
> > the annotation toolbar with a new icon and a setting dialogue to
> customize
> > its font [and font color].
> >
> > I have few things to ask before getting it done and it would be nice if
> you
> > can reply to any of the queries with your own suggestions.
> >
> > 3. Inline note has a "hover icon" (see tools.xml) which is shown when a
> > dashed line block is drawn while dragging the mouse to create a note. Do
> we
> > also need a different hover icon for typewriter or should we get rid of
> it?
> > In my opinion, we should get rid of it instead of creating a new hover
> icon
> > for typewriter. What do you say?
>
> Why do you think we should remove a feature we have? What is in your
> opinion
> the reason to get rid of it?

As discussed earlier in a private mail where Tobias CCed you, we are first
making the text input UI same as that of Inline note. Here you can argue
that we need the typewriter-hover-icon but when we are going to implement
the WYSIWYG live editing feature just after, do we still need it? I mean
yes we will drag the mouse to create a dashed line rectangular box for
creating annotation on page and it should show the typewriter-hover-icon
then, but I don't know what kind of hover icon should we design for the
typewriter? And what if the community selects another approach (see the
earlier mail in okular-devel with the subject, "FreeText typewriter
annotation WYSIWYG implementation ideas") where we can use KTextEdit widget
of fixed dimensions to directly draw a WYSIWYG editor on the page? Hence
out of this ambiguity, in my opinion, we should get rid of it. Waiting for
your suggestion.

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Thanks and Regards,