[poppler] General doubts regarding annotations and its poppler support for GSoC project

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Mar 18 18:46:32 UTC 2018

El dissabte, 17 de març de 2018, a les 6:29:45 CET, Oliver Sander va escriure:
> Hi Dileep,
>
> I think I can answer most of your questions.
>
> > 1. What does Okular use - the core poppler or poppler Qt5 interface
> > library?
> Okular uses the poppler Qt5 interface library exclusively.  That library in
> turn calls core poppler, which does most of the real work.
>
> > 2. There is partial FreeText (TypeWriter) annotation support in poppler
> > but not in poppler-qt5. With this information, should Okular have
> > FreeText annotation support too?
> Most likely you will need to extend poppler-qt5 to make the FreeText support
> of poppler core available to users of poppler-qt5 (such as Okular).
> > 3. What is the role of source files in i) okular/generator/poppler and
> > also in ii) okular/core directories? Hence how does Okular use poppler?
> Remember that Okular shows all kinds of documents, not just pdf.
> okular/core contains code that is independent of the file format,
> whereas okular/generator/poppler contains the pdf-specific part.
>
> > 4.  How is an annotation implemented in poppler?
>
> Somebody else will have to answer this question.

I don't understand the question, can you please rephrase it?

> > Does poppler provide any backend or UI for the annotation?
>
> There are no UIs at all in poppler.

Depends on what you mean as "UI", poppler knows how to paint annotations on
the image of the page.

> > 5. If annotations are implemented in poppler and Okular uses it, so why
> > does Okular also contain "annotation" named source files in okular/core,
> > okular/generator/poppler and okular/ui directories?
> Please somebody else answer this.

Oliver already answered this question, because you need to glue the poppler
side with the generic okular side.